Circle of Literacy Blog

Friday, July 13, 2007

In Tucson, Arizona!

I'm fortunate to be in Tucson. My main purpose is to attend and participate in the Trejo Foster Foundation Institute. What a great opportunity to focus on this year's topic: Health Information for Hispanic/Latino Populations.

I arrived a day early in order to renew and make some new connections.

My best friend from my Arizona days, Beth Dewitt (Arizona State Museum) picked me up and we spent a half-day on the Tohono O'odham reservation. The tribal college hosted us and provided a wonderful feast, welcome, and blessing in O'odham language. The feast included traditional foods, including cholla buttons and local beans. We went to the indigenous seed project and then the tribal public library.

Yesterday's visits included one with the U of Arizona's SIRLS students, faculty, staff, and alums. I'm now a proud ower of a "SIRLS gone wild" t-shirt! I met Aaron, the student who did the design. SIRLS director, Dr. Jana Bradley, brought me to the Tucson Public Library. We also visited a research and teaching collection of multicultural children's literature on campus and toured the Arizona State Museum library.

Plus, lots of media interviews! More about that later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home